PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The F-111 is an interesting bit of kit!
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2007, 06:17
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The air to air argument is, in my view, overdone in respect of Indonesia.

When we lose the F111's capabilities that will be a great loss indeed...the loss of the ability to reduce Indonesia's command and control and leadership to ashes from bases within Australia....not to mention destroying a great many of their aircraft on the ground and/or crater their runways to the point of uselessness.

I am not suggesting the F111 kept in service in perpetuity but it's capability is a VERY big deal and that needs maintaining in perpetuity.

What else goes as far, as fast, as low with as much...and can do so in any weather day or night?

What hope does an Indon Sukhoi pilot have of stopping an F111 at 200'/night/in weather/in terrain typical of Indonesia from reaching it's target, destroying it and returning home?

I wouldn't have thought there was much chance...and ex F111 pilots I have worked with over the years are adamant that that is the case.

The Iraqi airforce had far greater potential that the Indon version has ever had and it lasted mere days before the Iraqi pilots, sick of being mere targets, turned and ran their jets into Syria...or refused to take off, during the first stouche...the second was a bomber war backed up with ground forces...and was over in days.

Let face it...we are NEVER going to have a conventional war with Indonesia...as in bomb/beat/occupy...what we need is a big enough stick to keep them fearfull of upsetting us too much....the F111 has been that stick for a very long time.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 17th Nov 2007 at 06:28.