PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Election 2007, Who and why ?.
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2007, 23:06
Whiskey Oscar Golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just couldn't help myself

Ahh Askari good on you for trotting out the politics of fear. Nice to see there's some out there who follow the line.

I'll be voting ALP because I don't live in a marginal electorate and I won't be seeing any of those funky last minute funding proposals come my way. I also like the idea of regulated labour markets because as has been shown by strong growing European economies like Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, and a host of others, if you talk to your workers you might just get more out of them. Rather than take this or bugger off.

I believe workchoices as it stands is unstable. People at the top who have sellable skills move constantly to the highest bidder, losing skillsets, disrupting workplaces with this movement. It costs every time an employee leaves who you want to stay.

On the lower end you have a race to the bottom. With the employer constantly reducing conditions in the race to stay competitive. This again causes movement and in the lower end creates the same instability. It also creates uncertainty within employees often resulting in changes of employment types, often quickly, which can decimate companies.

A regulated workplace means people are on the same all over so employers can retain by being good employers. This results in less movement and more stable workplaces.It also allows for companies to be competitive with workpractices rather than short term runs to the wages bottom. This phenomena of people staying in jobs for two or less years is directly related to unregulated workplaces and individual agreements.

As to the rest, I'm a climate change sceptic and believe at the end of the day there's not too much difference as they are both trying to capture the middle ground vote. They both trot out the same lines it's just that the ALP might have a few more safety valves in there for the badly disadvantaged.

Good Luck Comrades

Last edited by Whiskey Oscar Golf; 16th Nov 2007 at 23:23. Reason: spilling