PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea King too old and putting Lives at risk.
Old 16th Nov 2007, 16:38
check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3D, I agree with your post, I also can see where CRAB is comming from, but don't quite agree with they way he goes about it.

Back on 22 Septmber 1988, there was a fire on the Ocean Odyssy where sadly the radio operator died. I was a member of the AS332 that was first on the scene, we were only 10 minutes away when the alarm was raised and were on site 30-40 minutes before the Dauphan from the Forties I think it was, arrived. We spoke to the radio operator who was asking which way he should go, and as the helideck was completely engulfed by fire we moved in closer to see if there was another escape route, however a number of blast occured and debris was blown into the air very close to us. We had to pull back and lost radio contact.

We continued to fly around the area and located a number of people in the water and directed boats to them, we then located the life boat which was now out of sight of the rig and guided a vessel to it. By now more aircraft had arrived along with a Nimrod who took control of the operation. In time the operation was wound down and we were released returned to I think the S701 to refuel and offered to take survivors back to Aberdeen as we were going back empty. We were told it was not necesary as the RAF SAR aircraft would call in later and take them back.

Later that night on the news and in the papers it was all about the RAF recue etc. After the initial reaction of "what the......"we thought about it and realised it was a very good PR exercise for the RAF SAR who were under pressure even then. So I keep this in mind each time CRAB goes on the offensive with what is often garbage and picture a man fighting for perhaps his and his services very existance. I also keep a tub of salt close by and take a pinch every now and then.