PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 needs BALPA? 2nd attempt!
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2007, 15:48
Serria Romeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have contacted BALPA directly to see were they stand this was the response:

Thank you for you email.

BALPA membership has many advantages that give value for money to members and peace of mind.

BALPA’s legal services are second to none. Whilst we all hope that we never have cause to use these services the help it provides can be invaluable. In recent times BALPA has helped members faced with losing their pensions, facing disciplinary action because of incidents whilst flying and members needing assistance as a result of passenger action. The cost to an individual of pursuing these claims is prohibitive.

In addition, recent legislation means that you have a legal right to representation from your union should you need it. Again this type of support is invaluable and only available through membership of BALPA.

I would also mention the new tax relief, which BALPA have secured with the Inland Revenue, which applies to 66.7% of your annual BALPA subscription and it has recently been announced that BALPA have agreed a new Fixed Rate Expense Allowance for all company pilots, which is considerably more than any existing allowance.

Jet2 does not currently have the added benefits of BALPA Recognition. In order to achieve this, the law requires a union membership of above 50% with evidence that the majority of the workforce wants Union recognition. Although we are not at these levels at present with colleagues joining and with membership slowly increasing Jet2 will be reviewed in the New Year to anticipate potential for a Recruitment and Recognition campaign. I hope you will consider joining.