PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea King too old and putting Lives at risk.
Old 16th Nov 2007, 15:14
3D CAM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Crab.
Wiretensioners reply sums it up, but...
Yes, I am defensive about civvy SAR. Just as you would be if I slagged off RAF SAR without direct knowledge or experience of it. I and most of my colleagues, air and groundcrew have spent lots of time on military SAR so have seen both sides of the coin. We all try to achieve the same result at the end of the day, just using different coloured machines. You do yourself nor the RAF any favours by posting rumours and stories from the distant past.
Why would we not declare we are U/S? We get no rake off from BHL for staying serviceable and take great pride in the service we try to supply to the southwest so therefore when we do go U/S, we cry for help asap!
I understand that you are fighting your corner for the upcoming harmonisation and I wish you luck. We do not want to see a drop in standards either! (We may even get a standby machine at Portland?? Now that would be a novelty!)
Yes, at last you have grasped the meaning of our standby machines. But I emphasise this is not out of choice, we would love a fully equipped spare aircraft but the MCA would not accept the cost to supply them! This will change as and when CHC take over each base. (That will be the time to check on serviceability states.) But Portland will still have to share the spare machine with the premier unit on the South coast??
The Irish may have access to RCS??? but I can assure you, our only direct contact with the local MRSC is the scramble phone!!!