PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC.........My taxes !!!
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2002, 00:47
Muff Coupling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloud Nine,

I would not get carried away on this thread..besides which El Presidente, is highly unlikely to know that the Army has pilots in the first place!

I think you will find we are talking "manning expedient" here. All three services cull pilots..you will have noticed big civil types doing the same.

Bear in mind the AAC is downsizing to meet its reduced fleet. I understand from a mucker in the org..they lose 100 odd Gazelle and 40 odd Lynx for only 48 Apache and 70 odd BLUH, (I know we brought 67..but only 48 wil be in front line service). That is a hefty downturn in any terms and many will be disappointed, some might not even get on a flying course! The RAF did the same a few years back, when Navs were "promised " FJ crossover pilot trg...then Sorry, services no longer required, the goal posts have moved...stag on as Navs.

Apparently guys & gals from other arms are fuly aware that they might only get a single flying tour and the numbers are small. The game is to send them back to whence they came with "experience of combat aviation" and spread the word as they eventually become CDS!You will have noticed many large bellied and deep voiced, chinless wonders, with a set of wings on MOD briefings.

Your tax dollars are safely in the hands of those who are probably mainstream AAC types, who are going to stay the distance. Yes, the RAF and the Navy also spend loads of dosh training pilots and then, just when they are "worth thier salt"..put them through Staff courses and tie them to desks. You will probably find it is those types who get the full monty FRI!!

Cause and effect..if all pilots that were trained and stayed flying for whole career (24ish to 55)..what would we do with all the QFIs and the very large and expensive DFTS!!

I take your point though..doesnt seem fair or cost effective..but hey.. neither does the £ gobbler called EFA!!