PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clark Institute of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2007, 03:03
Navitimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to set it straight, I am not vouching for ACTUAL EXPERIENCE being the only measure. My only apprehensions to the MPL program is if it will just be made into a program by the training provider to make a quick buck from the aspirants AND for the student to think that this is just a shortcut to the dream of every pilot wannabe, to get into an established airline without sweating it out. This mix is very unsafe, and should have no place in the aviation industry.

However, I believe proper training methods and improved training equipment (like Level D simulators and MFTDs) will be sufficient enough to mold these students into pilots that can qualify for the right seat of any aircraft. ICAO has laid out stringent requirements for the MPL program, and I think these should be the BARE MINIMUMS to be observed by any training facility that would cater to this program. Also, it should also be the partner airline's responsibility to make sure that these requirements are addressed and fully implemented. Who gets to fly with them after they graduate, right? The students' progress should be strictly monitored and evaluations given every step of the way. That, I believe, is how the bad eggs can be weeded out of the program.

My post regarding high timers not knowing basic stuff is to point out that even though they have lots of time under them, these pilots have been gaining the WRONG EXPERIENCE and thus cannot fall back on their acquired hours to save them when they start lagging behind the aircraft. I should have added that I've also seen low timers flying the Bus like they were meant for the LEFT SEAT because they fully understood the equipment, its systems and have a good working knowledge of procedures and regulations. I know I'll be gaining the wrath of all those who believe that these MPL students or so-called "pilot wannabees" have no place in the airline industry but if we can propose more stringent safeguards and checks for these guys instead of bashing them to the ground, we might just give this industry of ours a much needed boost in terms of safety and economic viability.

No arguments, just my two cents worth also!