PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 15th Nov 2007, 20:50
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
A very successful outcome – more than expected.

Just on 5.00 pm last night my solicitor received an answer from Minter Ellison, the solicitors for Airservices.

I was very encouraged by the letter. The reason it was more than I expected is because I had asked (through my solicitor’s letter) that Airservices review their decisions and perform proper consultation, however this is now to be performed by an external review into the arrangements for the delivery of Flightwatch.

The advantage is obvious. An external review does not have the conflict of interest of a review by Airservices – where any decision which reduces costs gives their organisation a commercial advantage.

I am assured by the Department (and I believe them) that the external review into Flightwatch will be with wide participation of all interested parties and with wide consultation. From looking at the almost total support for a stand alone Flightwatch system, I feel sure that this is what the recommendation will be.

I even believe that an external review could result in a better VHF Flightwatch system, with transmitters in more suitable locations and – believe it or not – the Flightwatch operators actually equipped with a proper terminal that can show the Bureau of Meteorology weather radar graphics.

Thanks everyone for their involvement. It certainly shows what can happen when the whole industry gets together with a common aim.

I also believe it will be quite a while before Airservices makes major changes without consultation – especially with their own staff.

For a copy of the letter from Minter Ellison, see here.