PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ServisAir
Thread: ServisAir
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2007, 13:49
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGWU

"......of Servisair if you find raiding the pension scheme acceptable."

That's a very serious statement. I certainly don't have all the facts and I suspect neither do you. tainted my view may be, not me to judge and I don't work for the company but I do not believe that this is a fact.

I may been seen to have a tainted view. I would prefer to think that I am honest enough to know that it is rarely wholly 'management's' fault just as equally it is rarely wholly the 'workers' fault when things go wrong. Whether Jobourg really knows how the BA contract at GCI was dealt with is for him/her to say; one thing is for sure - the handling deal was not done by anyone at GCI either from BA or Servisair; BA tendering process is a bit more formal than that. Chasing with vigour is a nice thought but it is handling rates that make the day and the customers in CGI showed their spots by chasing the lowest rate. The unit had been loss making for some time and there was little prospect of a turnaround.

With regard to ABZ.
I find it very disappointing and distressing; I know several of the staff personally. There are employees who have been there since day one and have more than 30 years service. The fact that the Cargo and Executive Lounge facilities will remain is no consolation.

I can not defend the senior management's performance over ABZ; but note that the most senior operational manager in Scotland is likely to be gone before ABZ shuts. Justice some would say, 5 years too late would be my personal opinion as he has done a huge amount of damage to the well being of many airport operations. However, you also have to look at the BAA's role in allowing so many ground handling comapnies onto an airport the size of ABZ.

Closures, sad as they may be, are a reality. How many remember:
Swansea
Kirkwall
Sumburgh
Inverness - to re-open several years later and reamains today.
Sheffield
London City
Blackpool
Stuttgard
Stockholm - Arlanda
Gothenberg
Rotterdam
not to mention several in France, the US, Canada and Africa.
There are still around 130 are there not?
Change is inevitable, those scarred often bear resentment.
This is business.

GH