PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Engineering Apprenticeship
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2007, 10:43
Airspire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Tasmania and career options here are limited, but that's not the point. I really would like to become an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and prefer to work on the Helicopters, but as a newie don't know where to go and look for an apprenticeship. If I'd like to go to school and do a course, than I would still need a job provider to get enrolled. Qantas was one of the providers that gave me a reply. NOw I have no ideas should I stay or should I go !!!
G'day marek s. tas,

If you are that way inclined with helicopters, why not try an apprenticeship with the Australian Defence Force (ADF), particularly the Army or the Navy. The Defence Force would be an excellent training opportunity, particularly with the new hardware that is coming online in the next few years, combined with working on cutting edge miltary technology, job security and travel. The Navy in particular are crying out for aircraft and avionics technicians (all rotary wing), to a point where the entrance standards are substantially lower than their Army and Air Force counterparts. And the big $$$$$ in the Navy while at sea, not for everyone though.

However, over the Tasman in Victoria there is also a newly established John Holland Aviation Services (JHAS) -www.jhas.com.au, at Melbourne Airport. JHAS have the capacity to maintain both civilian and military aircraft as well, so that should prove interesting.

Best of luck, but on a final note, QANTAS apprentice "administration" are depressingly useless so I would give them the big flick. Once again, try either the ADF or some Commercial/GA companies over on the mainland.

P.S.> Have you tried the Yellow Pages under Aviation?

Cheers,

Last edited by Airspire; 15th Nov 2007 at 10:54.