PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 15th Nov 2007, 07:30
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just "young" Pilots ehhh?

What REX offers is a great deal more than many other airlines, and is a step in the right direction. It is an opportunity for young pilots that deserves more than just the flack it continues to cop.
Flyer07 you sound like you're closer to the source than most of us.

Apart from the obvious concept that has been alluded to many times (that of looking after the existing, experienced crews to attempt to make them want to stay)- why would REX only be looking at offering places to young Pilots (as per your post)?

The people running this show obviously don't realise the value of guys like myself- in the 30+ age group. Blind freddy should be able to see that this demographic is more likely than not to give a longer return of service than those who are younger.

Maybe- just maybe- REX are only interested in the younger ones because they are generally going to be more financially dependent on their jobs than older guys with some money in the Bank? "Treat 'em mean keep em' keen".

Another odd aspect is placing such a huge emphasis on VCE/ HSC results. Don't they realise that the brighter students are going to be more appealing to Qantas Group Airlines when they are desperately short of experienced crew (which given the recent order for narrowbodies will most likely happen)?

I find it a bit of a joke. I'm not saying that I'm the perfect candidate, but with 250hrs TT, multi engine endorsement, UK CPL/ IR (easily converted to an Oz CPL/ IR) and ATPL subjects done and dusted, I would have thought that I'd at least be considered after having submitted their application form? Seems they're not interested, because I don't have fantastic VCE results, nor am I "young".

Oh well.....