PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: Qantas Long Haul Cabin Crew Eba8 Negotiations
Old 15th Nov 2007, 02:01
twiggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So then mrpaxing, what is the alternative?

Here is the newsletter

15 November 2007
Attention all Qantas Long Haul Flight Attendants

A330-200 DISPENSATION

BACKGROUND

Qantas is going to fly the A330-200 on SYD-BOM-SYD and AKL-LAX-AKL sectors from February/March 2008. The A330-200 used by Qantas has not been built with underfloor crew rest.

Some of these sectors will be planned in excess of 14 hours. Qantas has asked the FAAA for dispensation (because there is no horizontal crew rest) so that it can use Long Haul crew on these sectors, for a period from March 2008 until approximately December 2008 for the AKL-LAX-AKL sectors and from February 2008 until the new generation of aircraft arrive for the SYD-BOM-SYD sectors.

DECISION

The FAAA has agreed to the Dispensation request.

RATIONALE FOR DECISION

We are currently in EBA negotiations which will decide the future of Long Haul. At recent membership meetings we indicated our primary goal is to secure work for Long Haul crew, so that there will be no redundancies in Long Haul and in a broader sense, ensure the protection of job security in Long Haul, by making sensible and rational decisions, some of which are often difficult.

Qantas has other options (crew) who will do the work if we refuse. A refusal will also signal to Qantas an inability of Long Haul crew to be flexible. This will lead to a diversion of work to other cabin crew within the Qantas Group and/or an increase in overseas base numbers and the commencement of promotions in overseas bases. This in turn means surplus crew in Long Haul and consequently would threaten our collective job security.

We already have a surplus situation in Long Haul, and a refusal to do this work will only make the situation worse, particularly for a base like Brisbane where the surplus is most apparent. The AKL-LAX-AKL dispensation frees up 747 aircraft to be used for BNE-LAX-BNE.

More generally, my announcement earlier this week of extra crewing is only possible if we are flexible.

DETAILS OF DISPENSATION

AKL-LAX-AKL
  1. For A330-200 from March 2008 to December 2008.
  2. Crew rest will comprise a space of six economy seats (currently four) modified to four improved curtained crew rest seats. The pitch will be 48 inches and a recline of 7.5 inches. There will also be one high comfort seat.
  3. Home Transport will be provided both ways after operating any pattern containing AKL-LAX or LAX-AKL (PLANNED OR UNPLANNED).
  4. Long Range provisions apply
SYD-BOM-SYD
  1. For A330-200 from February 2008 until new generation aircraft arrives.
  2. Crew rest will comprise a space of six economy seats (currently four) modified to four improved curtained crew rest seats. The pitch will be 48 inches and a recline of 7.5 inches. There will also be one high comfort seat.
  3. Crew will be provided with an additional one (1) day of MBT/MPG in the construction of Mumbai patterns in addition to the normal prescribed rest periods.
  4. Home Transport will be provided both ways after operating any pattern containing SYD-BOM or BOM-SYD (PLANNED OR UNPLANNED).
  5. Long Range provisions apply.
I believe most thinking crew will appreciate the importance of securing growth and thereby securing a viable future for us all. I clearly enunciated how crucial it is to secure work at the recent FAAA membership meetings. Lack of work means excess crew, this in turn will ultimately lead to compulsory redundancy.

I ask that you see this initiative in the context of securing work and hence security for YOUR job.

I also ask members to await the outcome of the EBA negotiations, at which point, the big picture will become obvious to all.