PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building B757
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2007, 22:23
Night_fr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Rob @ PPrune Towers
What type of total Plonker are you
There are many happy pilots in both DHL Air and EAT who can knock the spots off those in the charter industries, this has been proven by the the number of pilots who have moved on to scheduled carriers worldwide.
These include BA, and Emirates to name but two, plus Silverjet who are only too happy to accept the product produced at DHL / EAT.
A B757 rating is a common type with the B767 (Wide body big plus) and it obvious that you have little or no knowledge of the current industry.
Freight is not a dead end job, but probably one of the best kept secrets in aviation.
Generally good pay, fair conditions of service, and 350 hours per year against the charter industry average of 880.
All for the same salary that a charter pilot gets, and more time at home than any other 757 operation.
Low hours type rated pilots are welcome at DHL Air / EAT, however there have been questions as to the type of training offered by third party TRTO's
The general feeling is that purchasing of a type rating is not always a good idea for an individual without a job offer post training.
This is mainly due to the fact that airline requirements differ and generally airlines wish to have their own trainers and SOP's used from the outset for reasons of risk management and quality control.
I suggest that for the person seeking 757 employment with a type rating that he apply to EAT as per their advert in Flight.
The Industry is in a downturn at present, with layoffs in Airtours, Thompson, First Choice and Thomas Cook, however this will not seriously effect the industry in the long term.
I am glad that currently I am nolonger in the Charter Industry as this part of the industry is first to suffer in any economic downturn, predicted tonight by the Bank of England.
Less money to spend less holidays taken.
With 30+ years in this industry, I have the experience and knowledge to know that you never anger the person next to you, they may be your next chief pilot.
So I might be sitting opposite you at your next interview and your comments have "P'd" me off already.
Don't knock the 757/767 or the freight industry and expect not to be flamed.
This is a rumour network and taking it too seriously can possibly damage your career.