PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Professionally qualified pax
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2007, 14:22
flyblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm always grateful when CC or pilots introduce themselves when boarding. I like to know who is in the cabin, and who could give a hand in case we needed help. I know that there are some airlines that do not welcome this kind of introduction (some even forbid it to their staff) but personally I find it narrow minded and silly because it puts safety second behind what, the fact that pepole might think that you maybe are introducing yourself to get an upgrade? I do introduce myself anyway, and if they decide not to use a piece of information that could be useful and to second guess my motives to do so, their loss!
And yes, I do upgrade airline staff if can when they introduce themselves politely. I think it is a nice gesture to people who could help you in case of need, and have enjoyed the same treatment many times from collegues from other companies (thanks BA and AZ CC and pilots ), and when upgrade was not possible, the odd drink (thanks Easy CC!).

Last thing, I don't know how useful it would be to introduce yourself as airline at check in. When using staff travel (so it's easy to understand that you are crew) I've never been allocated a seat where I could be of help in case of emergency. I think it is more effective to introduce yourself directly to the CC, and when it's possible to the Purser, or Cabin Chief or whatever it's called in the airline. I have talked about it to check in staff many times (every time I ask for a seat change when the machines automatically gives me a window seat) and every time, even if they agreed to the idea, they admitted they never thought about it themselves.