PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrow PA-28 Experienced In-Flight Break-Up
Old 14th Nov 2007, 12:21
deice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sternone, I think that you're proving yourself to be perhaps a bit too interested in jumping to quick conclusions without any factual base at all, and unfortunately for you, you're conclusions and ideas are wrong, hence strong words from other posters. If you had elected to say, "this and that happened, would it have made a difference in a Mooney?" instead of offering completely outrageous remarks, then perhaps we would indeed be more inclined to teaching you a thing or two...

VA has been described and I'd like to add that for most aircraft it is indeed lower than cruise speed and many times much lower even. A Malibu for example cruises at 180 knots with a VA at 130 or so. That's a 50 knot spread. Have you checked the Vcruise/VA spread of a Mooney lately? It's about probably even greater as the VA for the M20 is around 130 knots and cruise is upwards of 200 knots.

I wouldn't call myself an experienced PA28 pilot with only about 250 hrs in them myself, but I'm pretty sure you need to pull some massive Gs at high speed to break anything off of them. But it can be done.
Many years ago there was a relatively spectacular crash with a Malibu in Sweden. They popped vertical out of a cloud heading for the ground and likely pulled themselves silly as they managed to break the tail off, which from testing takes a massive 9G load before failing! Piper knows their business no doubt.