PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrow PA-28 Experienced In-Flight Break-Up
Old 14th Nov 2007, 11:46
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also i feel quit sorry for you that the only argument you can tell me is that i'm low houred not yet PPL rated.. comon, please do better than that, i could actually learn something from you guys.
Have you done the aircraft performance test yet? Because I think you don't give enough credit to this comment:

The reasons given were that full control movement over stressed the airframe.
All aircraft, without exception, have a Va limit, which depends, to a large extent, on the strength of the wing spar. In fact, in order to certify, the aircraft structure has to be strong enough to survive certain "g"'s at MTOM, and Va is a direct result of that. (For a normal category aircraft, I think the positive g limit is 3.8. Not a lot actually.)

If you fly faster than Va (and Va changes with actual mass) and apply full and abrupt control deflections, you will exceed the design parameters of the airplane. If you also exceed the safety margin that manufacturers built in, then you will break off the wings (or the tail section). Doesn't matter whether the aircraft is built by Mooney or Piper.

If you challenge me, I would be willing to take up a Mooney and demonstrate that it is indeed possible to fly its wings off. Mind you, I'd want to do an emergency egress course and a parachute free fall course first. But then I'd just dive a Mooney to Vne (or beyond) and pull up sharply. (On second thoughts, never mind.)

Edited to add that it's not uncommon to have a Va that is *lower* than the typical cruise speed. So even if you apply full and abrupt control deflections in the cruise, you might break the wings off.