PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Phones in the Cabin? Perhaps Not!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2007, 10:38
EastMids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't look forward to cellphones being useable on aeroplanes at all. As a regular air [and rail] traveller, at present I regard a flight is part of my "downtime" when I can legitimately have some peace and quiet away from the phone. Likewise, the Midland Mainline is a wonderful railway - the mobile reception can be so flakey particularly south of Leicester that again I can come close to legitimately abandoning the cellphone for an hour or two. And for similar reasons the "no cellphones in cars except with a hand-free" law is excellent - whilst my employer would pay for a hand-free kit, I have no intention of pushing to have one and as yet haven't been forced to do so. I look at it this way - if I have to get up at stupid-o'clock to get a flight (or a train, or drive a fair distance), and get back late into what in some respects I regard as my own time, then I'm going to use the uncontactable time to get a little peace and quiet. I admit that data would sometimes be useful in the air and in particular on longer flights, just as it was last week when I tried GNER for the first time, but voice is one step too far for me to personally want to use it. I shall therefore avoid airlines that offer cellphone use in flight, not because I'd get annoyed by people shouting into phones (although I would, actually) but just so that I can continue to have my uncontactable time whilst sipping a G&T at leasure.

A