PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doctors and Your Health
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2007, 09:56
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your GP is doing his job he would have recommended you have a colonoscopy at 50
I'm not entirely sure this is true VH.

Remember, they have to balance the risk the procedure carries, (albeit very low- complication rate 0.14-2%), with the benefit it derives. (In a "low risk" patient.)

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, and perhaps one of my more learned friends could shed some light, but as far as I'm aware, colonoscopy in an asymptomatic patient aged 50 is probably not recommended.

Of course, the great thing about this job, is that things do change on a day to day basis, so perhaps one day your prediction may be correct, but as far as I'm aware, there is no evidence for such practice at this present time.

If you are interested in the subject, a starting point maybe http://www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/ful.../section4.html

or have a scout round the British Society of Gastroenterology website.

Sending regular poo samples off for hidden blood analysis may be of more benefit for the asympomatic population.

As regards PSA testing, check my comments in an earlier thread regarding it's limitations as a screening tool per se.

Cheers, ginge.