PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 needs BALPA? 2nd attempt!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2007, 09:15
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I reading different posts here? Or is it just the tired old cliche of when someone says something you don't like, you just blame their CRM......

I never understand why pilots are so loath to join a union or association. But don't think of BALPA as a traditional all powerful '70's style industrial behemoth.

You lot have to do all the work, the CC have to organise and cajole the crews whilst hopefuly working well with the management. It is upto you to do something if you aren't happy with how you are being treated.

A group of workers is a much stronger unit to deal with than individuals, you have more bargaining power and less tolerance to shoddy practice. Whether that goes on at Jet2 I don't know, but it is interesting to note that the companies where the staff feel more valued generally have union recognition.

Recognition isn't a panacea, but just a step in the right direction.

Apathy is no excuse, any Jet2 pilot who is worried about taking a 1% paycutm or infact 0.5% in a non recognised company, simply isn't taking into account the long term benefits of having a union. It isn't about beating up the management or going out on strike, but having a mechanism where pilots and management are able to talk, discuss and ultimately agree on what is best for the company AND it's staff.

Union recognition should be good for both the company and the crews. It doesn't have to be about fighting pay cuts and base closures, though a union would make issues like that a lot less of a problem.