PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Officer in gun "joke" at MAN
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2001, 20:28
Max Continuous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Julian, I think the point Harpy is making is that we might actually all be safer from terrorists planning to hijack an aircraft, if we, the pilots, cabin crew and fare-paying passengers were permitted to carry on to aircraft certain household items such as pen-knives, nail-clippers and syringes which could, in extremis, be used as offensive weapons. I'd personally feel a lot safer knowing most passengers were thus "armed" in the event that a group of nutters on board decided to try to take over the aircraft. At least we've got something to fight with.

I fear that in our feminised and nanny society, it's only the criminals allowed to proceed unhindered, as we've seen recently with the introduction of new gun laws in the UK. All very emotionally correct, though.

Gumshoe, and others who think the pax should "wind their necks in", I cannot think of a more arrogant attitude towards our customers - in case you hadn't noticed, these people directly pay our salaries. Let's face it, as industry "pros" we're all up our own a*ses with the delights of aviation, but it will probably come as a shock to you that most people find flying one of the least pleasant ways of travelling, uncomfortable and de-humanising as it is. A lot of flyers are about to lose their jobs in the coming slump and we need to keep every customer we can. Your attitude does not help.