PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much are you saving or putting away each month at Ek?
Old 14th Nov 2007, 07:16
L1011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gyro - you need to be a little more specific.
Are you coming as a FO or DEC? Single person or Married with kids? How many/how old and will they move here or stay in SA?
Life is still OK here, bar the insane roads, busy rosters and a management style that makes Dilbert look good. It used to be great, but let's not dwell on that.
Even though I'm very senior here (meaningless in most respects - just a bit more money) - with a wife and two teenagers as far as ability to save goes, I tend to agree with GMDS.
The company pays 15% into the Provident Fund and honestly I do not save a whole lot besides that. (Not counting the mortgages on offshore properties, but that is a long-term capital gain, not savings.)
Some months are better than others, but Dubai is a very expensive place to live now. The days when I had toys and flash new car are long gone. One decent holiday with a devalued $ and I'm skint again.
If you are coming here because you need a job, then fair enough. If your position is stable in SA and you are leaving to save money for the future, doubt EK is the place for you.
Unless we get a huge payrise.