PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 14th Nov 2007, 03:43
mjbow2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my first experiences with Flight Watch in Australia involved calling up on VHF looking for information on a line of thunderstorms so I could plan the next 150nm routing and refile my return flight plan via a new routing clear of the Wx. For several minutes there was no reply from FW then Brisbane centre came back to me asking how he could help. I found out the hard way that Flight Watch in Australia does not have NeXRad/Wx radar.

The pursuing dialogue with Brisbane Centre to get the info I needed took several minutes (ie cell movements, speed, echo tops etc, their position relative to specific airways/navaids). I got the information I needed but the time spent distracting the controller from an already busy work environment with the widespread foul Wx I thought was completely unnecessary if only Flight Watch had Wx radar like they do in the US.

As a rule I will always try and get in-flight Wx info from sources other than a controller, especially when they are busy. Now one of those sources appears to be in jeopardy and as my own experience of getting Wx info from ATC shows, when we need it the most, is when ATC can least afford to provide it considering their increased workload.

I note with interest that Dick Smith is putting up his own hard earned cash in support of an issue that is also supported by controllers. Once again Dick you have my support and gratitude for your efforts and it appears you have the same from our controllers.

AFAP, JPC, AIPA, your turn.

MJ

Last edited by mjbow2; 14th Nov 2007 at 03:56.