PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cabin Crew - Wannabees & Recruitment
Old 14th Nov 2007, 02:50
Want2Fly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priapism, I could tell them that I'd prefer direct employment with Jetstar and to be hired under the same pay and conditions as current crew but I highly doubt that will get me anywhere. There's every chance that there'll be no more hiring direct to Jetstar now that they have the Team Jetstar subsidiary set up with an AWA ready to go. If I were Jetstar, looking at this from a business perspective, there's no way I'd grant one new recruit the EBA pay/conditions just cause he asked, lol.

As for minimum rest periods and the duty hour limitations for a single day; a friend of mine who is JQ CC was asking me last night what it had in my contract about that and I actually couldn't find ANYTHING that referred to that at all! Surely there'd have to be something in writing about that. According to him the max duty in one day is 9 hours and then after that you're paid overtime, and minimum rest period is 12 hours for a duty under 9:45 hrs and 14 hours if over 9:45 hrs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Blokehostie, I can see what you're saying about everyone accepting sub-standard pay and conditions and that if more people actually rejected this then the airline may not get away with it so easily, but there's not enough people willing to reject the job to put up enough of a protest to the airline. So I'm not going to be one of the few who denies myself the job.

I probably come across super-naieve at this point, but I haven't experienced what this kind of workload is going to be like or how I'm going to handle it - but if it becomes too much at some point and I simply can't work myself that hard any more well then I can resign and try another airline. At the moment any cabin crew job is better than none, only because I'm not coming from a high-paying job already - if I was then I'd have more to consider or weigh-up.

JQGIRL, it'd be nice to think they've simply sent me the wrong agreement in error, but it's clearly a contract for Domestic as the location states Melbourne/Avalon Dual Base.

Futureflier, in the section where it talked about the flying allowance as an additional payment it gave an example where out of approximately 120 duty hours an average of 89 block hours would be worked, and for every block hour the $11.40 per hour flying allowance applies. Going by that example, there's an additional $1014.60 per month. Adding that to the base salary gives me $44,675. That doesn't sound too bad to me, the downer to all this is the amount of hours I think, not so much the pay.