PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 14th Nov 2007, 01:10
Driscoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick,

I can understand that this issue is of significant concern to Pilots as it is to ATC's also, a controllers workload increases significantly when controlled traffic requires off track diversions & holding due weather to the point where VFR requests are likely to be put on hold until all other actions are complete. Unfortunately I too feel that the horse has bolted and the fact that AsA need some ex flightwatch freq's to make the Nov 22 airspace changes leads me to believe little can be done now.
However an issue of greater concern to most controllers and I would think Pilot's who are aware of the full ramifications of the decision is AsA's break provisions where on nightshifts unrated controllers monitor airspace without actually providing a control service for up to 20 min at a time. This means any requests including level changes / off track wx diversions will be told to standby until the rated controller returns. Heaven help you if you have a mayday during this time. To make matters worse pilots aren't informed when these breaks take place so they will still be of the belief that they are receiving a full control service when that is not the case.
Controllers weren't consulted on this decision so I doubt it was put to industry either. Just another example of AsA management being blinded by the almighty dollar.