PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 13th Nov 2007, 23:20
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Tch, Tch, Tch..............

Well Dick,

Just what did you expect after your initial efforts....12/12/1991, 11/11/1993,...etc etc

After deleting services to / for VFR aircraft in '91/92, then further 'rationalising' services in '93, we now have the result of the 'natural progression' of those decisions.

Unfortunately, most of today's aviators will have no idea of what I am talking about - but the more mature of us are certainly very much aware!

'Flight Service' in 'The Old Days' certainly was 'Top Heavy' ala the Public Service system of the times...but...after several 'reconstructions' / 'rationalisations' etc following the GBE (Govt Business Enterprise) model of the times, we evolved into quite a lean and rather efficient operation - especially following the adoption of satellite technology which allowed the closure of all of those 'inefficient' outstations...

FIS, which included DTI OCTA, as well as all forms of weather, NOTAM, NAVAID, Flight Following information etc etc was
'par for the course' , and efficiently delivered.

From memory - Perth FSC alone went from some 130 staff to prior to '91, to around 35 or so just prior to our 'final demise' when we were STILL delivering
a FULL SERVICE!

THATS EFFICIENCY FOR YA!

And now, for the sake of a measly $500K - which is really bugger-all in the overall scheme of things, the economic rationalists have further dismantled what used to be a fine, well run, and SAFE system!

Reap what YOU sowed!!

I too am deeply disappointed - I still have my CPL, but don't do much in commercial these days - but I have learned to adopt 'new' ideas and leave my SARTIME with 'MUM', and get my weather via my MOBILE PHONE!!

That way, it doesn't cost ASA ANYTHING, I don't clutter up busy ATC freqs, and I get the level of service I expect!!

CHEERS

p.s. Once again, many thanks for the redundo opportunity - I do now get the chance to persue my other interests.......

p.p.s. The post by 'Former AusFICer' simply told it like it IS!

NO CONSULTATION etc etc - just like the 'OLD DAYS' when we even then presented with a 'fait accompli' and expectd to 'wear it'.....

Well, it is now a matter of history that FS took the then ASA to the Industrial Tribunal 5 times over lack of consultation - and won our case 5 times - so what has changed in their thinking????

N O T H I N G ! ! !

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 13th Nov 2007 at 23:32.