PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 13th Nov 2007, 23:07
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Tobzalp, you make a very important point. Can I ask here if there are people who have taken voluntary redundancy, but could come back in an emergency and provide the Flightwatch service? I know this is generally not allowed under voluntary redundancy agreements, however in the case of an emergency (and surely this is a safety emergency) the Government can make any decision it likes.

It appears that only about 5 staff would be necessary to monitor the 27 dedicated Flightwatch frequencies. Obviously they could be Air Traffic Control licence holders or Flight Service licence holders. In the short term they could even be professional pilots – for this is not rocket science. Flightwatch does not provide a separation or a traffic information service, it basically relays important safety information that is on a screen in NAIPS, which a professional pilot can obtain anyway.

What I’m basically saying is let’s think laterally about this.

Airservices will probably say there is nothing they can do now because there are no staff available. Can we on PPRuNe come up with an alternative? There is lots of expertise here. Surely there must be some retired people who could provide this service for the next few weeks while the issues are resolved.

I look forward to advice from anyone who has any knowledge.