PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your helicopter carbon footprint?
Old 13th Nov 2007, 18:25
The Hustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For every 1,000 litres of Kerosene you put in you will produce 2.52 tonnes of CO2
I never understood how consuming something that weighs approximately 1 tonne can generate 2.5 tonnes of waste product AS WELL AS energy.

Unless they are counting all the emissions used in the process of refining and transporting the fuel, in which case I would like to see if they are distributing the emissions costbetween all the products the refineries produce (petrol, fuel oil etc).

It's the same sort of confusing figure I've seen of "On a round trip from New York to London (...) a Boeing 747 spews out about 440 tons of carbon dioxide". If we assume it's a 747-300, then the 12,000km round-trip matches the plane's range, which means it uses all of it's fuel capacity of approx 200 tonnes of fuel.

If we carry on generating mass at this rate, surely global warming is the least of our troubles. If the mass of the Earth increses we'll pull the moon down onto us . . .

Does anyone have the breakdown of how these figures are calculated? I've yet to see anything that quashes my natural scepticism.