PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2002, 03:49
Daifly

Beags - sorry mate, haven't been on this one for a while, so missed your post.. .. .No, this chap isn't he. However, if you find the right people you'll discover that flying down the firebreaks in Germany was a particularly popular thing to do in the Swift fleet!! I think 2 miles was the record! I'll ask him though, he might know of it.. .. .Also, he was recounting the story of a guy who used to fly his Swift at low level through cornfields, just burning the ears of the corn with his jetpipe.. .. .The bad day was when the farmer had "parked" a trailer in the corn.... .. .Reminded me of the Navy Historic Flight chap who found that one tree in the field with the Firefly.. .. .-------------------------------------------------. .. .I've only just had a chance to read Hansard too for the debate, which I seem to have missed at the time. A shame.. .. .It's good to read such structured and, generally, well researched debate in the HoC, which seems to be sadly lacking in the higher echelons of the main parties. It is refreshing to see cross party support for both views too.. .. .The one thing that strikes me the most is that the "anti-HoL" camp are trying to prove the crews guilt, whereas the rest of us are just trying to prove, (as if we need to!), that there is not a balance of probabilities to be argued in this case.. .. .If that were the way then the debate will just go on for ever and ever! The debate is so clear:. .. .Q) Is there 100% hard fact, proof, that the pilots were negligent? I.e. FDRs, CVRs, Eyewitnesses from the Aircraft?. .. .A) No.. .. .It's a pity that this section of the debate, as David Davis tried to get across, seems to get lost in the longer arguments that the "anti-HoL" lobby choose to voice.. .. .---------------------------------------------. .. .Nothing to do this weekend? Then spend 10 minutes writing to your MP and the MoD.. .. .Thanks!