PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2002, 02:46
cheapseat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

K52. .. .I apologise if I am teaching you to suck eggs but seeing as you asked the question:. .. . The introduction of the Mk2 was in such disarray that it was forbidden to fly the aircraft above a set weight that effectively meant that it would always maintain safe single engine performance; therefore once again it must be asked why on earth was it being forced upon the crews. If I need to spell it out any more ask yourself why it would be acceptable to fly an aircraft with one engine (a Gazelle?) but not one with two engines which could fail to one? Surely no one thought both engines might stop!. .. . Before you quote evidence re this particular incident not involving engine failure I am merely confirming that the Mk2 was indeed’ at that time’ severely weight limited. As a really trivial aside (K52 note this is but an observation) this weight limitation would also of affected the detachments planning of the sortie with regard options for fuel uptake.. .. . The weather you speak of was a forecast. Not a week passes (bar leave) without me having to explain that the rotary world uses a forecast to anticipate the weather they may encounter en route. We only fly short distances in the big scheme of modern aviation. If the weather allows a take off, crews do, every day, take off. Armed with the best the met man can offer. For a rotary crew to stack for weather when the start plate is clear you need a major incursion of frogs at least