PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2007, 12:02
Capt. John Doe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have heard from a few friends flying over there, the course before the 4, there were 2 cpts who failed the JCAB ride and one of them was allowed a recheck. Also, I think they said there were a couple more who were let go during training as well. That puts the failure rate at around 60 or so percent for this year. But don't quote me on it.

What I can deduce from reading various posts and talking to the guys over there, it's not that the training is overly hard - yes it is long and demanding and a lot of pilots have gone through it - but the real problem lies in the communication, culture barriers, and politics within the company. I spent many years in that part of the world and I can personally tell you guys that it is very, very political out here. If they want you gone, they can and will find a reason for it. It doesn't matter how good of a pilot you are. Of course, not having a union representation doesn't help either.

I thought about sending my stuff in, but decided against it a while back. The money's actually better than my current job at a legacy carrier in the US, but it seems like a crap shoot coming over here - with all the politics and all (although the new confirmation of confirmed business class and a couple grand raise/month sounds tempting). But......naaaah, I'll stay where I'm at not and hope the damn management don't take away my retirement.

For all the guys out there currently in training, best of wishes and good luck. And watch your back...seriously (you're not in NA, Aus, or Europe anymore)