PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Single Seat Weight
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2007, 11:00
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADBAdman
Please don't come on here and ask people for their impressions of margins that then allows you to think that your weight is acceptable if it goes over. Especially if later in a place where legal challenges are made your widow reckons that you saw it on pprune or any other network and therefore it was alright.

The R22 seat is certified at a certain weight because of it's tested crumple capacity. It sure as hell won't be modified upwards unless you want to spend a lot of money employing an aeronautical engineer to do the redesigns and certification testing yourself. That will cost big bucks and - I know or know of most of the people in that area- (in OZ that is)there are not many. I doubt any of them would pull it on.

If you are overweight, in a carbohydrate sense, then the margins will be less because you may lack considerable muscle tone to be able to withstand a heavier than certified landing.

If you are unusal in that you possess a very large frame with good muscle tone and still come out at that high weight I think you will have to realise that you will be up against the odds.

For example, say you have a heavy vertical impact (resulting in debilitating injuries or worse), lets say your weight was more than the testing weights during certification and you or your dependants subsequently sued for compensation then I think you (or they more pointedly) would be on a very sticky wicket.

This is an area where flying schools don't often address what I reckon is their right up front B****** responsibility and don't tell such candidates the real regulations with regard to weight but prefer to fleece money out of inexperienced people instead.

And yes that needs to be said - loudly- directly to the schools that do it.

I am sorry, but my impression is that the weight limits must apply.

By the way, your pseudonym resembles the surname of an old acquantance in the live export game. Any genetic resemblance there would be understandable given your question.
tet