PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2002, 16:46
pulse1

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree that Mr Arbuthnot’s speech was excellent and shows a good understanding of the main issues.

The strongest negative speech from John Wilkinson (Ruislip-Northwood) had some interesting bits I thought:

“First, I hope that an aircraft that has not had clearance from the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down will never be allowed to perform such an important mission again. It was a fundamental mistake, and I am astonished that an aircraft with so many operational limitations was allowed to fly on the mission.” . .and:

“If the eminent officers had to fly to Fort George, it would have been more appropriate and sensible for them to travel to Inverness airport in a Hercules or BAe 146. It is incomprehensible that they all flew in one aircraft, especially one that had so many limitations, in such unsuitable weather. Clearly, the weather was marginal for flight under visual flight rules.”

. .“The senior officers who permitted the sortie to go ahead in the helicopter, in the weather conditions that I outlined, are reprehensible”.

The MoD must love having him on their side.