PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 13th Nov 2007, 08:13
CaptainMidnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NFR
I think the horse has already bolted.
I think you are right.
Based on the inclusion of a letter dated August 07 from ASA to RAPAC that has been included in RAPAC minutes over the last few months, it would appear that the industry were at least made aware of the impending consolidation of flightwatch to ATC, and an AIP SUP was issued in September. Maybe the implications were not understood.

Reading between the lines of some of the posts here re. ATC taking over FW frequencies and some not, would suggest that discussions were held with ATC at some point? Maybe so and you didn't have any choice in the matter?

Unfortunatly if industry & ATC union concerns (at least publically) weren't raised forcefully enough earlier if at all, then this exercise now comes across simply as someone's excuse for a pre-election embarrassment stunt.

To put things in perspective in case I'm coming across as defending anything, I concur that it is highly likely problems of frequency congestion and workload will occur at times (and probably at the times the FW service is most needed), and think this consolidation isn't a good idea. As someone said, ATC are there to monitor and keep tin apart, not be distracted by acting as online briefers.