PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turnbacks
Thread: Turnbacks
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2007, 00:01
212man

Received 336 Likes on 188 Posts
This a topic that crops up frequently in the GA press, and I well remember writing to Pilot magazine in 1993 in response to a long article that proved it was an impossible manoeuvre!

My only experience of them is on my UAS days flying Bulldogs. It was a standard training exercise for the more advanced students (I was doing them from about 40 hours), and the QFIs were tested on them during their trappers visitis, I seem to recall.

It was only advocated for runways where an EFATO would put you into the spare bedroom of 13 Acacia Avenue! One of the key elements was that it was part of the T/O brief, so was not a spur of the moment decision, and the direction of turn would be briefed as into any crosswind, to minimise the turn radius. The absolute lowest height to attempt it would be 450 ft agl and the aim was to return to the airport environs first, land back on the reciprocal runway, second.

The actual handling of the manouevre required precise and prompt input, and as I recall was something like this (20 years old memory so bear with me!):
  • Smartly lower the nose to 'nail' Vy
  • Transfer to instruments and roll to 45 degrees of bank
  • Maintain an accurate Vy and 45 degrees on instruments for the first 90 degrees of turn
  • After 90 degrees of turn, ease bank off and visually assess likely landing site
  • When lined up/wings level consider some engine shutdown drills, but concentrate on the landing

I seem to recall there may have been mention of flaps to 'inter', and even 'nibbling the light buffet', but can't swear to it.

One thing is for certain: if an average PPL decided on the spur of the moment, following an EFATO, to attempt the manouevre, without any prior practice or training, it would most probably end in tears!