PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 12th Nov 2007, 20:06
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I've only ever used Flightwatch once - and when I did, I really needed it.

I left Kerang VFR for Melbourne at about 1300 when YMEN and YMMB were still closed by Fog, with enough fuel to divert to Bendigo or Ballarat, or even back to Kerang if necessary.

Decision point was Mangalore and when I overflew, Flightwatch told me they were just open.

Now what chance have I got of getting this information out of a busy Melbourne Radar frequency???? Absolute zilch! And especially when you start adding in the non english speakers you are simply asking for trouble!

Professionals please take note, as a simple VFR pilot with no ACRS, HF and god knows what else, this is a promise.......

If, through lack of timely and relevant weather or safety information through AsA, I feel that my safety and that of my companions, has been, or is compromised during flight, then I'm busting your carefully crafted system of regulation wide open.

That means: Flight through controlled airspace, unplanned landings by light aircraft at what ever airport is available - and that includes YMMB and YMAV.

Expect to see very large commercial aircraft not getting clearances or having to divert as a result of VFR traffic (altitude unverified) getting in your way as they poke about trying to get themselves sorted with no help available.

This is not a threat, its whats going to happen, I watched an Emirates 777(?) burn a stack of fuel a few months ago thanks to "VFR traffic" the wrong side of the West Gate bridge, expect much more of this, and the costs incurred by just one diversion, and the subsequent investigation, report and perhaps legal proceedings, will dwarf AsA 's savings.

Bear in mind that with the one frequency, a non english speaking student in trouble is going to blanket the entire Melbourne basin and no one is going to get any clearance for anything.

And here is the threat AsA, if you start acting as if my life as a private pilot is somehow worth less than someone travelling in an airliner, then I assure you you are going to pay for it....and a first step will be a sudden lack of the
cooperation and the give and take that currently makes the system work (for example, getting out of someone's way and passing information, Wx etc.), the second step will be that I won't be "requesting" weather or change of details, I'll be requiring it.

To put it another way, why the **** should I carry a radio, or even bother to switch it on if there is no point in talking to anyone?

I'm 100% behind Dick.

Last edited by Sunfish; 12th Nov 2007 at 20:27.