PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways flight seconds away from mid-air disaster (Not!)
Old 12th Nov 2007, 09:48
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Hi CPB,

Thanks very much for the input. Very much as I understand things.

The quote from me was meant to cover the very senerio you mention, one aircraft following the RA, whilst the other climbs or descends in contravention of it, possibly to follow an ATC command. Just this happened in both the DHL crash and the JAL near-miss.

The other one people seem not willing to touch is the case of mode A only. In this case you won't GET an RA. You can hit the other aircraft and will not have recieved anything more than a TA. As for "Letting ATC do its job", THEY won't have an Altitude read-out either. Thus, with an ATC on duty and an Airliner with two professtional pilots on board, seperation relies on the first-solo guy in his 152 not busting his cleared altitude.

Topslide,

I'm sorry this debate descended into name calling, but, as you can see many "Actual Professtional Pilots" have similar ideas to me (and some disagree, whilst backing their arguments with logical, respectful comments). Do you " Hope I never have to fly" with all of them?