PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter Boots
Thread: Winter Boots
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2002, 02:58
Captain Kirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Must agree that 65 Pattern boots are useless, poor grip, little support and little or no water repellancy. Some time ago our unit resorted to the Local Purchase of ProBoots and they are excellent, especially for the arctic theatre. I must admit to finding them too hot in temperate conditions and prefer a well worn in pair of Combat Assault boots with a Sorbothane insole - not cleared but exactly the same tread pattern as the ProBoot.

There have always been a lot of ludicrous reasons for not issuing a decent boot. Goretex was unthinkable for a long time because it is flammable - I once pointed out to an 'expert' that if things were so bad in my cockpit that my boots were on FIRE then I would not be there for much longer. FOD is also a favourite but the groundcrew jump in and out of the cockpit all day long wearing - yep, combat assault boots/CS95!

Most of us resort to wearing the issued desert boot or, preferably, the US desert boot in sunnier places as black boots get far too hot.

We are currently trialling a new boot (MK1 Aircrew Boot) which is a substantial improvement but will not cut the mustard in arctic or desert conditions (my opinion) although I suspect that we will be told that it is suitable for ALL climatic conditions - that will save money! It could also do with a decent speed lacing system.

Hope this helps.