PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways flight seconds away from mid-air disaster (Not!)
Old 12th Nov 2007, 08:54
Del Prado

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Topslide6,

This thread appears to be going in circles, yet as far as i'm concerned there isn't even an argument.

So why the last paragraph?

For me, what comes out of this thread are there are some pilots who want to interpret this scenario as never, ever turn during a TCAS event as per SOPs. There are others being a bit more pragmatic and saying while they would always follow SOPs and never, in theory, turn during an RA, they are willing to concede that TCAS will not save you 100% of the time and visual aquisition of the traffic, if possible may allow a back up plan.
I don't think it comes down to a lck of trust in ATC though standards around the world are obviously very different.

NoD's example of 30 degrees off track for 15 seconds wouldn't erode other separation by more than a half a mile. (I've seen several pilots avoid weather by more without asking first.)
And I'm not advocating that for every TA in the LTMA but I have to wonder if a visual aquisiton and turn might just save another incident like Brasil or Lake Constance.

Still what do I know, you don't believe I'm really air traffic