PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $80000 for a CPL! WTF?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2007, 22:07
VH-BCY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys/Gals, there is a cheaper way of getting all your licenses. Buy your own planes I did my initial training at an ultralight school then bought a single seat ultralight for $2000, then bought a rag and tube 2 seater for $3000. Done over 200 hours in ultralights before moving into GA. By the time I had 50 hours in my GA log book, I had completed my PPL, CSU/retract, tail wheel and initial twin endorsements. Then bought a C210, travelled the best country in the world for VFR flying then did all the CPL exams by correspondence. I estimate by the time I did my CPL, total cost was about $30,000 (not including purchase price of aircraft because aircraft generally don't depreciate that much) but including all fuel, landing fees, insurance, maintenance, books, exams and instuctors. The only regret I have is not buying my '58 model 172 earlier to do all my GA training in. You can pick up an older 172 for under $40,000, do over 200 hours in it and still get the same price for it if you managed to look after it well. Owning and maintaining aircraft also gives you a better understanding on how best to fly and look after them and will also look good on your resume. If anyone wants some more advice on how to gain a CPL for lot less than through the flying schools, dont hesitate to pm me