PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SE IR during winter time and icing conditons
Old 11th Nov 2007, 17:54
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if you look at the NTSB reports you might find more than a few.
You're right. The first one I found was an SR20 that flew (or tried to fly) across the Rockies with scattered embedded TS. It's fairly typical. Interestingly, most of the accidents occurred above 10,000 ft over mountains.

I was a bit amused by the second. It starts

"The flight crew, an airline transport certificated captain, and a commercial certificated co-pilot, were flying a restricted category, icing research equipped airplane in instrument meteorological icing conditions under Title 14, CFR Part 91. The purpose of the flight was to locate icing conditions for a prototype helicopter's in-flight icing tests. While in cruise flight, the airplane encountered icing conditions, and had accumulated about 1" of ice on the leading edges of the wings. The captain reported that he activated the wing deicing pneumatic boots, and the ice was shed from both wings. About 4 minutes after activating the deice boots, both engines simultaneously lost all power. The crew attempted several engine restarts, but were unsuccessful, and made a forced landing on frozen, snow-covered terrain."