PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SE IR during winter time and icing conditons
Old 11th Nov 2007, 16:25
deice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was one a couple years ago wih a Caravan in Finland, although it was probably a combination of ice and bad loading.
You should check the Caravan pilots website, there are a number of accounts there as I recall. The problem may be that if you come down due to ice, and temps are above zero on the ground the evidence is gone... An SR22 went down in the US after accumulating ice and didn't get the chute out, last year or year before that I believe.
I know I've read these reports, but I don't have any links to them that I can add, but the US NTSB and Swedish accident board (www.havkom.se) present some facts. I'll go digging again.
What's this about old wives tales? You haven't met some of the pilots I have! I know of a number (VFR only pilots) that climb through cloud without IFR clearance in uncontrolled airspace and fail to see the hazards as in IFR traffic heading the opposite direction. They seem to think that if ATC doesn't know they're there and breaking the regs then they're ok.
These same persons would gladly take off into an overcast to see how much ice they might pick up. Stupid. Why would I want to tell them how much ice a PA28 can handle? I have no idea, and I'm pretty sure you don't either. If you do, please contact NASA and have them employ you as their expert.
Yes I've had an inch of ice on a warrior, and I feel stupid for doing it.
I've had the same on the Seneca knowing what I was up against. It's different. Knowing how to handle ice with de-ice or anti-ice equipment is part of the trade, knowing when not to fly in non-equipped aircraft is the same, as I point out to my students. But that's just me.
Please keep up with your work and train them as you like.