PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing over with missed approach
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2007, 12:16
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its fair to say that it does depend on conditions as to what we would do on any given day at any airport.

BOAC you are quite correct this is a classic sim gotcha especiialy when training with US instructors for JAA ratings, you achieve circling minima with the RW environment in sight and commence the circle, 1/2 way around they ratchet down the ceiling and see what happens.

IN the US it is as clear cut as intruders post, maybe not so crystal over here.....

I appreciate the point about forgeting about circling as the original question wasn't about that and I am struggling to conceive a situation where a "sidesteppy" kind of visual procedeure woud be required in the UK, maybe a blocked 24R at MAN with a stiff westerly and good viz under low cloud??

Getting back to the original question, there must be a catch all directive for all airports from ICAO to prevent there being as many different concepts about missed approaches after "repositioning" than Pilots, having seen the discussion, I think that point has been cleared up, local exemptions to standard procedure can be published and notes made on the Jepps as required or indeed ATC forewarned that where local procedures or exemptions are not present then anticipate the problem and control the air traffic accordingly.

Last edited by G-SPOTs Lost; 11th Nov 2007 at 12:19. Reason: gramer and speling and question asked / question answered