PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA union or pilot club?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2007, 11:22
Dick Deadeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I am pretty well qualified to comment on this having spent several years on a CC.
Really! And BALPA still didn't support you?

I have also recently been forced to resign from my job
Why did you resign? Why didn't you stay and make them dismiss you? It's generally much easier to fight a case of dismissal rather than constructive dismissal.

We were absolutely disgusted when one of thefirst major actions taken under the new stewardship was a high profile and expensive campaign to raise the threshold of pension pots to closer to two million than one million.
Why? Sounds like sour grapes that you're not in that bracket. This issue deeply affected hundreds of BALPA members, and was a legitimate area for BALPA.

This caused enormous offence to many of us
Tough. Grow a thicker skin. It was extremely important to hundreds of BALPA members, mainly the ones paying the highest union subscriptions.

There was then of course the Harmer case!!
You can't even get her name right, but we should still accept that you know enough about her case to comment? Yeah, right!

except to wonder at why such resources and prioritisation were afforded (clearly at the expense of less glamorous grass roots needs)?
Needs such as your case?

High profile, attention grabbing, politically correct.......yes. But why was such attention given to a single member
I don't know. Perhaps it was because she was a BALPA member in good standing, with a worthwhile and winnable case that would set a useful precedent? Ask the BALPA legal committee if you're still wondering.

when this case has single handedly done more to destroy the careers of would be women pilots than anything else recently? Mad!
Your bitterness really shows through. Right or wrong, you need to get over it and move on with your life.

What did the General Secretary say when you made a formal complaint after your victory? You did make a formal complaint didn't you - you know, to help straighten the system out for the next guy or gal in your position?

I'm really glad you won your case, but still convinced that the BALPA review process is a necessary procedure! Can't judge whether it failed you in this instance because of the distinct lack of facts you provide!