PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing over with missed approach
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2007, 10:25
Intruder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hetfield
Yes, the thread was about VISUAL CHANGES OF LANDING RUNWAY.
That was not clear at all, which is why I asked for the definition of "swing over."
If you are flying a visual approach to a different runway than that to which you started the initial approach, the missed approach instructions for that instrument approach no longer apply. You must get instructions from ATC, either at the time of the clearance or from Tower when you start the missed approach.
Rainboe
So is it sensible for a pilot to assume that in (4) he should do, what would be utterly stupid and fly the original GA, leading a pilot to execute a 90 degree turn overhead LHR, crossing over the other runway turning through 90 degrees, for example.
No, and nowhere did I suggest it. Per FAA AIM 5-4-22.e:
e. A visual approach is not an IAP and therefore has no missed approach segment. If a go around is necessary for any reason, aircraft operating at controlled airports will be issued an appropriate advisory/clearance/instruction by the tower.
The FAA clearly places the responsibility on ATC (Tower) to provide missed approach instructions. If Tower is momentarily busy, it would be appropriate to climb on runway heading to 800' AGL (or higher if terrain dictates) while waiting for Tower to issue the isntructions. I suspect that once the Tower controller sees an approaching airplane start to climb and/or hears the "go around" report, he will make it a priority to communicate with that airplane.

Specifically at LHR, a prudent alternative while awaiting ATC instructions would be to follow the Jepp 11-5 or 11-6 page, "Procedures to follow in the event of radio failure following a missed approach." Start the procedure for the runway to which the FINAL approach to intended landing was made.