PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Down on Melbourne Beach
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2007, 01:37
hihover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't doubt that your suggestion would be a useful exercise, beneficial to some, however, suggesting that any authority should require it in a syllabus might take some justification. I can think of other more beneficial training that would take priority over high level hovering. Do bear in mind she was not attempting to establish a hover. She lost control in a turn.

If a pilot is required to hover at that height or operate at low speed at that height, the operator should be responsible for ensuring that the pilot is capable. Basic commercial training syllabii are just that - basic.

My question about the max rate of yaw is aimed at that first moment where yaw control was lost - before the low rrpm horn. If the wind weathercocked the aircraft at too high a rate of yaw, perhaps that was already in excess of max rate as she tried to stop the yaw.

Gazelle - run out of M/R Lift?? Not a chance. It has tons of power. Unfortunately, that huge keel surface was being whipped around by the 20 kt wind and at that rate of yaw even with full opposite pedal applied, it just would not stop. The pilot applied more power instinctively to get away from the ground and as we climbed we started pitching as well as yawing so he dumped it on the ground. All over in 10 seconds.

Your turntable exercise sounds fun, a bottle of Bundy's best would make it messy though.