PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Crosswind takeoff
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2007, 01:18
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also heard all these different arguements before!

On the B707 I recall we were taught about 1 unit per 5kts of crosswind component (and it was VERY important to keep the wings level on rotate due to potential pod scrape on the outer engine!!).

That said I think the really important thing is to maintain the into wind aileron (and rudder) DURING the rotation for take off and then once you are safely airborne to smoothly centralise the controls for balanced flight. Ok there may be an arguement that you dont need into wind aileron during the early part of the take off roll but having to change the aileron input during the roll takes a lot more thinking about (well for simple folks like me that believe in the KISS approach).

On a (re) conversion course onto the B737-800 a very experienced training pilot was of the opinion that when taking off in max crosswinds FULL (yes FULL) aileron should be briefly applied during rotation. Having done about 4,500 hours on B737 variants I feel somewhat uncomfortable with this technique and it is not what I use but I would be interested to hear any comments from others!

That said I believe we should be following the advice of the Boeing FCTM.