PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landings in gusty conditions
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2007, 20:59
whitehorse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whitehorse

Interesting thread. Just got back to base after fighting 60kts mean wind to G75kt winds 30degrees off the the runway, no we didn't land! As a professional pilot flying DHC7´s (C172 on steroids) and an FI in the UK, my experience for what its worth is this;

1. I agree with Mungo Man, the SEP pilot should not go down the ½ headwind plus gust speed. In my experience most pilots end up with a threshold speed which is too high and therefore the landing distance is too long due to the float.

My company has changed the procedures from the above to just following the laid down speeds for the different flap limiting speeds and working the throttles.

2. I agree with Bosse X that the aircraft should be at threshold speed at the threshold.

3. I agree with DFC, if you don't like it go somewhere else.

In my humble opinion a light aircraft pilot should not use trail flap in gusty conditions, what those gust limits might be depends on the experience of the pilot.

I teach plus 5kts on approach but nail the threshold speed. Making sure that there is not too much friction on the throttle.

Don't forget the breaking action. Landing on wet grass etc is going to effect what happens when you are on the runway if there is a crosswind as well.

I don't want to change the thread but in my opinion the weather is not as stable as it once was with gusty conditions becoming more more of an issue.

Last edited by whitehorse; 10th Nov 2007 at 21:18. Reason: left a "t" out of whitehorse