PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Limits
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2007, 19:25
Shunter
Upto The Buffers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever carried out a perfect x-wind landing where this has been the case (no side drift, nose pointing exactly ahead)?
You make it sound like it's the holy grail or something. I learnt at, and am now based at Leeds, so yes, I have thanks. I know a lot of people are terrified of crosswinds, but one adapts to one's surroundings. A lot of GA fields have the luxury of multiple runways and some PPLs have never had to deal with a crosswind landing, but as with everything it's all about practice. During my training I did several circuit sessions which consisted of flying along 3ft above the runway for 1000m or so at 60kt in a 14kt xwind, wing down, anchored to the centreline, before doing a touch and go.

I flew recently with a friend who learnt at Sherburn. As we headed back towards Leeds I had a listen to the ATIS and the surface wind was 260/14 for runway 32. The whole concept of flying sideways on final, then landing left wheel, right wheel, then nosewheel was completely alien to him.

Not saying I'm any better or worse a pilot than anyone else, but I know how to land with a crosswind. It's a handy skill, maybe more people should learn it