PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2007, 00:48
Roller Merlin

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
…in your opinion would civilanisation of the Training Command QFI workforce solve this twin experience/retention problem?
Snoozer: I believe 2FTS has potential for 3-5 contracted QFIs, in addition the few Reserve guys. These ‘greybeards’ can hold the standards and help mentor the newbies during high staff turnover. Yes it does work for the RAF. Yes there will be enough space left for the newbie’s to develop and return to the FEGs as rounded instructors. It will cost more money.

BFTS is a different equation. The ex-mil QFIs interested in civie jobs mainly want lifestyle and location. Hence 2FTS - they like, BFTS- they don’t. There are NO ex-mil QFIs currently in Saudi or elsewhere on the books of recruiting companies that are interested in going to Tamworth. BAe management has learned that to get new “non-ex-mil” civie instructors up to standards across the range of training takes at least 3-6 months and costs them heaps in internal training, and then these guys can leave at any time. And BAe pay much less than a LCC. Meanwhile the small number of mil QFIs carry the extra load, with little surge capacity. Duhh!. This is the inflexible arrangement we (ADF) contracted into. And BFTS is where the big student numbers will arrive next year – beyond current capacity. Fixing this will cost the ADF lots and lots more money.

...then only the undesirable jobs left for anyone else. How is that going to work?
Marg: Undesirable but skilled jobs need to be compensated for appropriately, then there will always be takers. But this will cost the ADF more money.

ftrplt: I know a LCC will be tiring, and you are spot on - the grass is brown on both sides of the fence, and I have played there before too. But the timing seems right, and with demand outstripping supply of pilots over the next 10 years, airline T&C will need to adjust to market demands over time. (so I hope!) Just look at the numbers over the next few years: Emirates +500, Etihad +350, VB +200 ish, JQ +200 ish, Cathay +lots. China and India middle classes booming and wanting to fly. Yes airlines will do everything to keep the labour force in check, but at some point bettering the T&C for pilots will become more cost effective than parking airframes whilst paying their leases. Evidence this “new” paradigm is evolving now can be seen at Rex, Skippers and NJS – increasing T&C for pilots (ie: for captains, and thus FOs) will eventually save airlines in their bottom line!

Last edited by Roller Merlin; 10th Nov 2007 at 01:16.