PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Service Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 22:31
Papa Whisky Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Service Pilots

I tried originally to join the RAF as a boy entrant in July 1948 but the selection board at RAF North Weald turned me down as medically unfit, however in January 1950 I was "called up" for National Service and reported to Padgate.
At Padgate we were informed that anyone who had school certificate could volunteer for aircrew selection. I hadn't got school certificate but convinced those selecting the candidates that my City and Guilds Motor Vehicle Mechanics certificate was equivalent, and was, in company with about 100 other intake members, sent to Hornchurch.
On return I found I had been selected for National Service Pilot training. As I had only requested the RAF for my NS because I didn't fancy the hairy shirts worn by the Army and had only asked for aircrew because the Hornchurch climate was preferable to Padgate in the snow this astonished me somewhat. However the selection was confirmed when I had to hand one of my pairs of issue boots in exchange for a pair of shoes. These displayed at the foot of the bed signified that you were a u/t birdman. Remember that at that time National Service was only eighteen months, so everything was somwhat hectic. No 1 ITS was at RAF Wittering until the end of March 1950 when we were sent on ten days leave reporting to Jurby on our return. Sadly I did not complete my training being completely out of my depth with such things as calculus but I have always regretted not having made full use of the opportunity which I was offered, I still love flying and took my PPL in 2005 as something else to do in retirement.